[Glade-devel] Toolbar support

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:21:52 +0100, Richard Hult <richard imendio com> wrote:
Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:13:43 +0100, Richard Hult <richard imendio com>
[...]
Currently this is how non-widgets work in glade-3, we could probably
do the same thing for menus come to think of it.

We talked a bit about this on IRC, for those that weren't there, Tristan
explained a bit more. Basically, the toolitems would be handled
differently than regular widgets, and would not be available in the
palette. I don't think that is a good idea since the UI gets a lot less
obvious that way, I would definitely prefer to handle this like glade-2
does, as regular widgets, or have a separate toolbar editor dialog.

Hmmm,
    The problem is that the UI gets alot less obvious in the case of
non-widgets anyway, what happens when you want to add a
GtkEntryCompletion to a GtkEntry (this is probably a bad example),
or a GtkSizeGroup to a GtkBox (or are size-groups always toplevels ?).

On the one hand, I really want to make the glade-3 code as generic
as possible with the highest possible level of code reuse (when dealing
with irratic toolkits that are always changing, we want glade-3 to "just work"
as much as possible).

On the other hand, the GtkOptionMenu in glade-2 (that I just looked at) is
really sexy I have to admit :)

I think we have to ask ourselves if it is worth special-casing every wierd
doodad like toolbars and menus with entire editor codebases ?

<brainstorm>
    Hmmm, the glade-2 menu editor is basicly a property editor for each MenuItem
with a treeview that allows you to select the menu items, an
equivalent can be reached
by navigating the project-view and editing the menu/tool items
directly in the editor.

What if optionaly the property-editor could display a treeview of its non-widget
children (or more specificly its non "GtkContainer->GtkWidget"
relation children)
and allow Add/Remove capabilities from there ?
</brainstorm>