Signal editor (was Re: [Glade-devel] small patch)

Hi!

--- Paolo Borelli <pborelli katamail com> wrote:

For adding a handler it looks good since you have to
type the function
name anyway, but have deleting as the only way for
removing the handler
is a bit weak... I's like to have a "remove handler"
item in the popup
menu.

I don't understand your concern.  Why is a bit weak to
remove the handler when you remove the name of the
handler?

It seems quite natural to me.

Anyway the main problem I see is that you may want
to have more than one
handler for the same event.

Yes, you're right.  I didn't even remembered that
possibility when I was doing it.

Once again the first
suggestion that comes
to my mind is an "add another handler" menu item in
the popup menu.

I would like to use a more direct approach rather than
using a context menu.

We should anyway show the handler's names in the tree
view, maybe as Archit suggests making the signal's
name the parent of handler's names on the tree.

Then we can have a "<Type your signal handler name>"
that will add a new handler when the user types the
name of the handler.  Something like:

Name             Handler          After
=======================================
- Activate
   |______       on_activate1      [x]
   |______       on_activate2      [ ]
   |______       <Type your ...>
+ Realize

The disavantage of this method is that you have to
expand the signal before being able to add a signal
handler.

I also don't know if it has accesibility problems.

I'll consult the usability folks on this issue.

I want to also add the name of the class that each
signal belongs (as with
the current "add a signal handler dialog").

This is obviously a must have :) but I'd say not as
another column;
my suggestion would be to add tree nodes as in the
current glade3 add
handler dialog, defaulting to have the first node
expanded and the
others grouped as suggested today by Shridar.
(probably you could just cut&paste the
implementation from the treeview
in the add dialog)

Yes, that's what I was thinking about.