Signal editor (was Re: [Glade-devel] small patch)

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 22:11, Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:
Hi!

I've been hacking a bit on the signal editor.

What do you think of an interface like that one:

http://e98cuenc.free.fr/signals.png

It is nice (in particular 'in place' editing is sweet!), but I have a
couple of concerns:

You add a new signal handler just typing the name of the handler, and you
remove it just erasing the name of the handler.

For adding a handler it looks good since you have to type the function
name anyway, but have deleting as the only way for removing the handler
is a bit weak... I's like to have a "remove handler" item in the popup
menu.

Anyway the main problem I see is that you may want to have more than one
handler for the same event. Once again the first suggestion that comes
to my mind is an "add another handler" menu item in the popup menu.

If we don't want to rely on context menu, another idea could be leave
the Add and Remove buttons: these would be sensitive only when a signal
in the list is selected;
* pressing Add starts in place editing, and maybe if pressed on a signal
that already has a handler it creates a copy (I admit this is a bit
convoluted ;-)
* pressin Delete removes the handler

I want to also add the name of the class that each signal belongs (as with
the current "add a signal handler dialog").

This is obviously a must have :) but I'd say not as another column;
my suggestion would be to add tree nodes as in the current glade3 add
handler dialog, defaulting to have the first node expanded and the
others grouped as suggested today by Shridar.
(probably you could just cut&paste the implementation from the treeview
in the add dialog)

ciao
        paolo