Signal editor (was Re: [Glade-devel] small patch)

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 14:46, Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:
Hi!

--- Paolo Borelli <pborelli katamail com> wrote:

For adding a handler it looks good since you have to
type the function
name anyway, but have deleting as the only way for
removing the handler
is a bit weak... I's like to have a "remove handler"
item in the popup
menu.

I don't understand your concern.  Why is a bit weak to
remove the handler when you remove the name of the
handler?

It seems quite natural to me.

I find it natural too and I'm all for it, just I'd like it not to be the
*only* way to remove a signal handler. Two reasons mainly:

1) discoverabilty: I expect that when you select a row to add an hadler,
the "handler" cell switch immediatly to edit mode so that it's clear you
should type the function name, but when you select a row which already
has an handler name I'd expect it to simply be selected and to switch to
edit mode only if you click again on the cell.

2) ease/rapidity of use: when you add a handler you have to type the
function name anyway, but to remove one it would be nice to just have to
click a button and/or press the DEL key instead of deleting the function
name character by character.

We should anyway show the handler's names in the tree
view, maybe as Archit suggests making the signal's
name the parent of handler's names on the tree.

Then we can have a "<Type your signal handler name>"
that will add a new handler when the user types the
name of the handler.  Something like:

Name             Handler          After
=======================================
- Activate
   |______       on_activate1      [x]
   |______       on_activate2      [ ]
   |______       <Type your ...>
+ Realize

I generally like this solution too, note however that we end up with a
three level tree, since signals are also grouped by class. That could
make things slightly more painful. Maybe the nodes containg the signal
name should be expanded by default.

The disavantage of this method is that you have to
expand the signal before being able to add a signal
handler.

I also don't know if it has accesibility problems.

I'll consult the usability folks on this issue.

Agreed, some advice by the "experts£ would be great, especially because
there aren't many examples of this kind of UI in gnome

ciao
        paolo