[Glade-devel] Binding independent names

Oh (correct me if I'm wrong) you mean change names in the UI (like tooltips and
property editor). We could just go for something like

Window for GtkWindow
Checkbox for GtkCheckbox
... and so on and so forth.

Could be done, but then paolo's question comes into the picture.
I someone say puts libeel in glade3, and in there, there is a Checkbox
derivative, what then?

Besides I think most hackers are intelligent enough to realize that
GtkWindow is same as gtk.Window, or Gtk::Window, or Gtk_Window

We are after all, programmers :-)

Conclusion:
Might not be worth the trouble.

Archit

Sridhar R <sridharinfinity yahoo com> writes:

--- bighead users sourceforge net wrote:
Hey

I don't quite get what you meant by "preference of
changing names for Widgets,
depending upon the language binding" ?

   Ok.  Currently glade3 uses widget names as
  * GtkWindow
  * GtkHBox
  etc. ...

   This (may) look confusing to a (say) python
developer, since he expect names like,
  * gtk.Window (or) Window
  * gtk.HBox (or) HBox
  instead of the above.

   Hope you get my point better.  What I suggest is to
use a names-mapping table, which contains the names of
all the widgets in different bindings (C, Python,
Ruby, etc..).

   Then the User/IDE can change the preferered way of
naming widgets by just changing the default binding in
"Options" dialog.  Similarly the glade3 IDE API should
also contain a function for switching the binding so
that depending upon the IDE and the language it uses
(Anjuta use C/C++ and <myfutureide> uses Python) it
can change the binding by calling that function.

Archit

Sridhar R <sridharinfinity yahoo com> writes:

Hi,

I think glade3 should support the preference of
changing names for Widgets, depending upon the
language binding.  For example, currently the
signal-list dialog list names based on GTK+ C
library.
 But in PyGTK, the names doesn't contain the
prefix
'gtk'.  Or instead of using GtkWindow, it can say
gtk.Window.

So it all depends upon the binding.  It would be
better if glade3 API (API for IDEs), supports
setting
of binding dynamically, so that it reflects the
name
change!

=====
Sridhar R
Email: r_sridhar users sf net
WWW:   http://sridhar.has.it

Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus"
Sweepstakes

=====
Sridhar R
Email: r_sridhar users sf net