[Glade-devel] Re: GUI graph editor?

From: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>

I don't really see a benefit from the graph ... it's not
clear what advantage that has over the tree view in Glade,
since the widget structure is just a tree.

A 2D canvas gives one more dimension to arrange stuff.
Nodes and wires gives a possibility to visually group
the stuff.

The widget graph may be a tree, but later we could have
state machines for handling events, or something similar.
Then we would need non-tree graphs.

We do need something better than the current Glade because
Glade cannot manage beyond the widgets. Sad thing is that
very complex stuff can happen, e.g., in a drawing area, and
all that is left to user.

If anyone is interested in to browse through GUI, UIMS, etc.
papers with me for ideas, please mail me privately. We could
check out what kind of solutions existing research papers
offer to the problem. I have hudreds of pdf papers and I would
need help in selecting best papers for our project.

Regards,
Juhana