[Glade-devel] Why libxml2 and not GMarkupParser?

Tim Müller wrote:

Hi list,

Just out of curiosity: why does libglade2 depend on libxml2?

I admit I am somewhat ignorant about the internals of libglade2, but at first
glance I could not find anything that could not also be done with
GMarkupParser, which is part of GLib. Or am I missing something here?

Admittedly GMarkupParser is not quite as refined as libxml2 - especially in
the error handling -, but then: if the .glade file is faulty, you're in
trouble anyway. The .glade XML files don't seem to use things like namespaces
or non-standard entities either, so GMarkupParser should be able to handle
them just fine, at least as far as I can see.

libxml2 is 924 kB of size on my system. I think getting rid of this particular
dependency would be quite nice. Of course it doesn't make much difference for
full-fledged GNOME apps, but for Gtk+-only applications it seems a worthwhile
optimisation, and might make libglade more attractive for applications that
are designed to run also in memory-restricted environments (e.g. embedded
systems etc.).  Getting rid of libxml2 should decrease application start-up
time as well (although I am not sure how relevant this is on modern desktop
systems).

Any thoughts on this?

As for size issues: I'm afraid that Glib's markup stuff doesn't handle
compressed xml files,
like libxml2 does. For example: I have ~600KB xml for my current
project, gzipped it's about ~36KB.

    Olexiy