[Glade-devel] Re: GUI graph editor?

From: Damon Chaplin <damon karuna uklinux net>

What about adding the following kind of editor to Glade?
  http://www.infres.enst.fr/~elc/XXL/

What are the main advantages of this type of editor?

It's probably a lot of work for little benefit. I think it is pretty
easy to build interfaces in Glade already.

A few days ago I suggested the same idea and listed a couple of good
advances. So, now only shortly:
  -No need to design the interface in advance
  -Better undo management and re-arranging possibilities
  -Better testing possibilities; multiple choises can be tested easily
  -Better library management (of larger structures build by user)

Now Glade seems to be good enough for a small work. Preplanning
seems to be a must.

Often people need to use something new before they realise the
advantages: so, use your imagination and build a GUI with
XXL type of system in your head. Compare both building methods,
change your design afterwards, make mistages, re-use parts of your
GUI in other software.

There are no disadvantages. If such a graph editor would be a part of
Glade, you could still build the GUI the way it is build now. The graph
would be build internally but you would not use it at all.

Regards,
Juhana