[Glade-devel] GladeMenuEditor UI Review for Glade3 (Glade2 developers' and users' feedback needed too)

Selon Archit Baweja <bighead users sourceforge net>:

Hi

"Joaquin Cuenca Abela" <e98cuenc free fr> writes:

Hi Archit,

Probably one of the simplest interfaces would be to remove the Add /
Delete buttons.

Just using the "Insert" and the "Delete" keys on the keyboard can be
used to add a new entry on the GtkTreeView.
Cancel, apply, and ok buttons can also disappear, just leaving a "Close"
button and making changes instantanely applicable (we have undo, so we
don't need "Cancel")

Well although it is a good idea to link to those key-bindings, removing
the Insert and Delete buttons altogether isn't such a good idea IMHO.

Well, current IU motto is more or less to remove cruft.  If the same operation
can be done more easily with the keystrokes, then why leave the buttons?

It should be a good idea to put a label somewhere explaining that you should
use the "Insert" and "Delete" buttons, however, to make it obvious.

Anyway you will collect better flam^H^H^H^H feedback @usability :)

We still have the arrow keys to move the entries all around.  These are
also probably superfluous, but I don't see how to remove them so easily.
Probably you can change up and down an entry just with drag & drop.  You
will surely find somebody @usability that will easily find something
better than the left and right buttons.

While we're at it, we could add key bindings for the up/down left/right to
the regular keyboard keys.

I first though about it, but then you screw the navigation on the tree using
the keyboard.  Ctrl+arrow may work better (again, a little label saying it
would not hurt).

P.S.: I will probably do a little modification to the catalogs after
all, as I've converted glade-gtk into a dynamic library (only on Linux
right now), and just realized that we have no way to specify the name of
the library on the catalog...

You could just hard code it. Just a thought

Nope, it will work for libgladegtk, but not for foreign libraries.  I can't
know in advance the libraries people are going to use.