Re: where to find GIR XML documentation?

Thanks for all the help regarding the documentation.
I think I've got a better idea of how the GIR XML format works now.

As my first modest contribution, I've summarized my findings (mostly googling, reverse engineering, trial and errors), as comments in the RelaxNG schema and created a merge request: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gobject-introspection/merge_requests/139

I think I've covered every single elements. Next step is to explain in a doc how all of this works together.

Cheers,
David

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 12:01 AM Tony Houghton <h realh co uk> wrote:

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 07:29, Phil Clayton <phil clayton veonix com> wrote:

>     On 19/02/19 18:37, Tony Houghton wrote:
>      >  Or is it
>      > possible to get a typename by using g_base_info_get_attribute()?

Certainly g_irepository_get_info doesn't return a type info that
represents an alias type declared in a namespace.  It's not clear to me
how g_base_info_get_attribute could be used for alias information.  We
would have to check an attribute of anything with a type, e.g.
arguments, return values, properties?  Also, I can't see any
documentation about such an attribute.

The documentation for these attributes is especially vague even by this API's standards. When it said it gets an attribute for "this node" I hoped it might mean you could find attributes from gir nodes there, but it seems not. The documentation for g_base_info_iterate_attributes() implies otherwise without volunteering anything more useful. And to use that function you're supposed to allocate an opaque structure on the stack. Really?

--
TH