Re: [Gimp-web] GIMP Site Redesign

2012/3/9 Mike Finch <info 1sixty com>
That version is definitely more up to date than most that are floating around, but I'd ideally still like to move away from the big, bubbly, glossy trend.  In the design community, this is a style that's years out of date and with trying to push usage to more mainstream demographics, I think it's a trend that would discredit our attempt to bill it as a modern, up-to-date application.

I'm not sure if the problem is really a "rendering" issue. I don't think the icon I linked looks dated in style or finishing.
It's rather the idea of using a mascot as branding what probably looks dated.
The problem won't go away by just tweaking the style of the illustration: It's a cute mascot holding a paintbrush in it's mouth and that's what looks anachronic

Let's try this- Let me take this version you linked me to, and see if I can take some of the "Web 2.0 Bubble" look out of it.  It might be a good middle-ground to please both current and future users.

If you want to give it a try, keep in mind that there's a 256x256 icon in SVG format, as Alexandre just pointed out.

Gez.