[Gimp-user] gutenprint / cups -- defining a new printer configuration

I'm trying to define a new printer configuration, as described in the
gutenprint developer's guide chapter 4.

I believe this documentation is pretty dated, unfortunately; there is no file
printers.xml that I can find anywhere in /usr/local.  Based on the lines
described in section 4.1, I'm guessing printers.xml has been superceded by
the set of files in xml/printers/*.xml.  For epson printers, that would be the
file escp2.xml.

As I read section 4.1, it should be possible to duplicate a line in the file
  /usr/local/share/gutenprint/5.3/xml/printers/escp2.xml  (freebsd system)
change the text for the "name" parameter, and I would have a differently
named printer which behaved exactly as the original -- they would both feed
the same physical printer.  (I'm attempting this as a mini-step to make sure
it works, prior to modifying the printer definition).

So I duplicated this line:
      <printer translate="name" name="Epson Stylus Pro 3880"
        deviceid="MFG:EPSON;CMD:ESCPL2,BDC,D4,D4PX;MDL:Epson Stylus Pro 3880;CLS:PRINTER;DES:EPSON Epson Stylus
Pro 3880;"
        driver="escp2-3880" manufacturer="Epson" model="107"
        parameters="standard_params" />

and changed it to:
      <printer translate="name" name="My Epson Stylus Pro 3880"
        deviceid="MFG:EPSON;CMD:ESCPL2,BDC,D4,D4PX;MDL:Epson Stylus Pro 3880;CLS:PRINTER;DES:EPSON Epson Stylus
Pro 3880;"
        driver="escp2-3880" manufacturer="Epson" model="107"
        parameters="standard_params" />

The only change being the addition of "My " to the name.

However, after restarting cups, when I invoke gimp and try bring up the
gutenprint dialog, I see the error message:
"Plug-in crashed:"gutenprint" (/usr/local/libexec/gimp/2.2/plugins/gutenprint)"

I am running gimp 2.10.20; not sure why the gutenprint plugin is in that 2.2
directory but that's where they all are.

If I remove the original definition, so there is only one entry for model 107,
it works with the new entry.

What am I not understanding about how one should be able to define multiple
"printers" to go to the same real printer?

Thanks,

Gary