Re: [Gimp-user] gutenprint / cups -- defining a new printer configuration

On 2/25/22 18:55, Gary Aitken wrote:
I'm trying to define a new printer configuration, as described in the
gutenprint developer's guide chapter 4.

I believe this documentation is pretty dated, unfortunately; there is no file
printers.xml that I can find anywhere in /usr/local.  Based on the lines
described in section 4.1, I'm guessing printers.xml has been superceded by
the set of files in xml/printers/*.xml.  For epson printers, that would be the
file escp2.xml.

Yep.  That doc is way out of date.

As I read section 4.1, it should be possible to duplicate a line in the file
  /usr/local/share/gutenprint/5.3/xml/printers/escp2.xml  (freebsd system)
change the text for the "name" parameter, and I would have a differently
named printer which behaved exactly as the original -- they would both feed
the same physical printer.  (I'm attempting this as a mini-step to make sure
it works, prior to modifying the printer definition).

The important one to change is the "driver" parameter.  Those need to be distinct.

So I duplicated this line:
      <printer translate="name" name="Epson Stylus Pro 3880"
        deviceid="MFG:EPSON;CMD:ESCPL2,BDC,D4,D4PX;MDL:Epson Stylus Pro 3880;CLS:PRINTER;DES:EPSON
Epson Stylus Pro 3880;"
        driver="escp2-3880" manufacturer="Epson" model="107"
        parameters="standard_params" />

and changed it to:
      <printer translate="name" name="My Epson Stylus Pro 3880"
        deviceid="MFG:EPSON;CMD:ESCPL2,BDC,D4,D4PX;MDL:Epson Stylus Pro 3880;CLS:PRINTER;DES:EPSON
Epson Stylus Pro 3880;"
        driver="escp2-3880" manufacturer="Epson" model="107"
        parameters="standard_params" />

The only change being the addition of "My " to the name.

However, after restarting cups, when I invoke gimp and try bring up the
gutenprint dialog, I see the error message:
"Plug-in crashed:"gutenprint" (/usr/local/libexec/gimp/2.2/plugins/gutenprint)"

I am running gimp 2.10.20; not sure why the gutenprint plugin is in that 2.2
directory but that's where they all are.

If I remove the original definition, so there is only one entry for model 107,
it works with the new entry.

What am I not understanding about how one should be able to define multiple
"printers" to go to the same real printer?
If you're using the Gutenprint plugin, you can create new printers via the printer selection box and
set whatever printer you want, each one with its own settings.