Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP Version 2.8.16

Hello Kenny,

First of all, I am sorry to hear about your condition.

Unfortunately we don't store any compiled package for GIMP on Linux (unlike
Windows/macOS packages). Even our flatpak is quite new (since late GIMP 2.8
releases, if not mistaken). The Flathub repository actually stores an
history of former builds, so it is actually possible to install older
builds (this is quite a hidden feature of Flatpak, very useful for
debugging), but I just checked and the 2.8 builds are long gone because
Flathub only stores up to 25 builds (which makes me think that maybe we
should store standalone Flatpak builds on our download server, but someone
would have to do the work to automatize this as much as possible). So you
are out of luck here.

Maybe you should be able to get older .deb packages of Linux Mint. Normally
distributions also keep their older packages and there are also some
websites which keep archives of all packages made for various
distributions. So I'm sure GIMP 2.8.x packages for Mint can be found. And
if you are lucky, these older packages can still be installed manually and
work on a newer distribution. You should ask about this on Linux Mint
forums.

As for the remark of overlooking legacy, I believe GIMP to be quite good on
this actually. We take a lot of care to not break too much older usage, and
rarely remove a feature without implementing first a better alternative,
nor do we change things on a whim without thinking hard about it. Now we
still have to evolve. Caring about compatibility is important, but it
should not mean being stuck in the past. Still I am sorry to read about
such a neurological disorder and I do wish you all the best. If finding an
older GIMP is the best for you, I hope you'll find an older version and
continue doing more of the nice photography artworks you linked earlier. 🙂
Regards,

Jehan

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 9:17 PM Kenny Mann via gimp-user-list <