[Gimp-user] select tool issue

Hi ^^

I really really hope this is the right email to use - I have now run into
this problem twice when working on two different designs of mine and it's
REALLY REALLY annoying! I seriously hope there's a way round it:
So I go to use the "free select tool" or the "ellipse select tool" and
after a little usage, they both end up saying something like 'can't be used
where there's nothing to work on' and the symbol is the usual cross, but
with a circle and  line through it (see attached image for what I mean) -
why why why does this happen? :'(

Please please can you help me?

Thank you

Kind regards,