[Gimp-user] Color map is different than Color palette ? (graphics editor basics question)

The two are the same, or there are different things ? A clue where from can I read more about ?

For example, in "context-action" in GIMP there are these strings:

Foreground: Set Color From Colormap
Foreground: Set Color From Palette
(and the same for Background: etc.)

I don't know the context for the above, these are just strings from the .po file, labeled as "context-action".

In some GIMP translations (e.g. French) the color map is sometimes translated as color palette (e.g. Colormap
Menu > Menu de la palette) and that confuses me.

Cristi

--
Cristian Secară
https://www.secarica.ro