[Gimp-user] Smudge tool changed!

I used to have a round circle smudge cursor (I think that's what it is) and
suddenly it's change into an oblong shape that doesn't move the color, but
instead seems to break it apart and cast broken lines instead of a hard line.

The pic on the left, you'll see that sometimes it's oblong. The middle one shows
how it looks at other times.  The one on the right, shows it doesn't smudge in
solid form.

You'll also see on the right of the 4th screen shot, about the tool there are a
lot of small square icons on the top... that was me clicking on things to try
and figure out what happened or how to change it back.  As you can see, I am not
very savvy about gimp.

Can you help?

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1349/original/gimp-smudge.jpg