Re: [Gimp-user] Need help with jpg-cannot get it to work..

I took your cat image and tired to do what you wanted. See if this works
for you:

Open image in GIMP > Duplicate Layer > Desaturate Layer > Duplicate this BW
layer > Change mode to Dodge
Now you should see a completely blank screen. > Gaussian Blur (play with
the number - around 5 should do it ). You should see an outline of your
image.

Next use the levels (or curves) to adjust as needed. Next sharpen image.

This should get you started. Otherwise, let me know.