Re: [Gimp-user] Text with accents

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 08:52:59AM -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Ken Moffat via gimp-user-list <gimp-user-list gnome org> [08-27-20 02:43]:
Hi,

I'm using 2.10.20 and I want to create some text using accents
(specifically, in the first case, a german umlaut).  I've found out
how to use the installed system fonts (backsppace to the beginning
of hte font name, type the first letter, choose from list) and I've
chosen one which I think will look right.  But when I type ä
(a-umlaut if you can't read that) I just get a plain a.  Similarly
with other accents, although my key for ß (capital letter sharp S)
works.

I'm using regular accents e.g. U+00e4 for small letter a with
diaeresis, not combining characters because I don't have those
mapped on my keyboard.

Is there any way to get the accented letters ?

your "accented" letter "ä" shows fine here.  Maybe your not displaying
utf8 ???

You mean it displays fine in the mail, or that you managed to get it
in text in the gimp ?  I'm fully UTF-8 here, as confirmed by the
sharp S displaying in the gimp.

I use <right><alt><double-quote> to generate ä

I use a GB keyboard, we call right alt AltGr and my xorg keymap is
derived from the default GB map (AltGr s for ß, other letters (not
tried in the gimp) such as AltGr l for polish ł with slash, and
accents on AltGr and keys at the right end, e.g. AltGr ; for acute,
AltGr : for double acute (hungarian ő), AltGr [ for umlaut or
diaeresis ].

Ah, I maybe know why it doesn't work for me - I'm using dead keys
for the accents as a means of getting maximum coverage in other
programs (so, for example, I can do dead cedilla on ģ).  Perhaps
gimp is ignoring the dead key.

The font I was using is Free Sans, and I'm attempting to work around
this by pixel editing - the end result is for small-scale model
signs, with letters in about 8pt to 12pt if I was printing from
libreoffice - but since I need white-on-colour I can't print from LO
on my inkjet, and I need white lining for which I'll anyway have to
use pixel editing (the 1 pixel brush).  Still attempting to try
that, I've got 4 sizes of tiny printing on which I'm working before
I attempt to print to see if any look good enough, but it is driving
me crazy - works for a bit, remembering to select the brush after
using the eyedropper to select the colour or shade, and then
suddenly it stops working.

Thanks.

ĸen
--
Juliet's version of cleanliness was next to godliness, which was to
say it was erratic, past all understanding and was seldom seen.