[Gimp-user] translucent background?

I want a rectangular text box with a translucent white background. I can
make it transparent but don't see a way to get, say, 30% transparency.
Can someone refer me? will RTFM.

TIA.

Dave

--
Affectionate tactile stimulation is a primary need, a need which must
be satisfied if the infant is to develop as a healthy human being.

And what is a healthy human being? One who is able to love, to work, to
play, and to think critically and unprejudicially.

--  Ashley Montagu – Touching, The human significance of the skin. 2e
1978