[Gimp-user] Toolbox and layer windows disappearing each time

That works great!

I've installed Gimp using pacman, nothing fancy. But now, strangely
when I
restart the dialog boxes are back...??? That's since I tried tab. So
problem
solved? I'm not sure if this was me missing something or if there was
an issue
that the tab key somehow solved... I'm confused tbh

As installed Gimp keeps previously used settings. If you want a consistent
start-up

Setup Gimp the way you want it to start off, including the tools , brush, font,
anything you like.

Set the overall window size/position the way you want it.

Set the docks the way you want them, default Gimp 2.10 comes with many you might
not use.

Go to Edit ->  Preferences

Set the theme and icon theme, black might be popular but it is hard on the eyes.

Finally for each of the three sections in turn: Tool Options, Window Management,
Input Devices.

Untick "Save xxxxx on exit"  and click "Save xxxxx Now"

Ok bottom of Preferences dialogue. Start Gimp and it keeps those settings.

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)