[Gimp-user] Grandson is counting on me

Good day all,
So thankful to have found yall.Diligently trying to help my oldest Grandson with a school project.Currently
failing miserably thus requesting the experts for assistance.
I've used Photoshop previously, although it has been years.Found Gimp and love it.I have worked for hours
trying to simply put my Grandson's Face (.jpg) into an 8 second football players .gif
I have watched all I could possibly find on YouTubeI even signed up for the free 7 day Photoshop Trial but
after a day with it, got so frustrated, I unsubscribed and cancelled the remaining 6 free days.
From what I see, Gimp v2.10.12, if fully capable yet I continue to fail.
My ask:Gimp for Dummies steps:1. Open Gimp2. File3. Open? As Layers?4. Etc.
I am so frustrated with myself currently as I teach ERP for a living (26 years) and just cannot seem to
figure this out for my Grandson.
ANY help getting me on the right path would be overwhelmingly appreciated.
Cheers and Thanks yall.
-J