[Gimp-user] Colorizing (only) with a Radial Gradient/ Alpha Channel

Hi… I’m an amateur astronomical photographer. I’m also new to GIMP and this
forum….. After years of imaging nighttime celestial objects, I started imaging
the sun through a solar telescope. Best practice calls for imaging the sun with
a monochrome camera, which is what I do (see my result in frame “A” of the
attached/ referenced image). Many who share this hobby with me color the sun in
post-processing. My attempt at doing this, using GIMP’s Colorize feature has
produced what can be seen in frame “B”. While that’s OK, I want to get results
that look like, what another amateur has produced and is pictured in frame “C”.
I’m guessing some steps involving Alpha Channels, Radial Gradients and the color
palette pictured in frame “D” is needed to make this happen, but I’ve yet to
figure out the sequence of steps and settings to make this happen….. Any advise
would be most appreciated!

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1250/original/GIMP-Desired-Sun.jpg

--