[Gimp-user] transform questions

thanks very much for the reply... that looks like what I want to do, albeit my
upper layer is the map (with white made transparent) over an airphoto base
layer, but it should work to scale, rotate, and reposition pertinent map details
onto the airphoto as I can pick similar geographic locations on each layer.  My
application example would be to have that roadway route plan (prior to it
actually being built) overlaid onto an airphoto and one could see what might
become paved over.  At this point however my program knowledge fails me and the
path help section still leaves me puzzled.  Can you advise how I set up this
path abcd and particularly how do I use plug-ins or these scripts?  Presumably
they need to be imported into the main program somehow.  Sorry for being kinda
dumb with this, gimp is way more complicated than the photo editing software I
usually use just to crop, rotate and adjust levels.

There are Gimp plugins that will align two layers but only between two
points.

There is a plugin here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-tools/files/scripts/
ofn-layer-aligner about 30 down the list ofn-

In the very-much simplified example:  A four point path A-B-C-D
defining the start and finish of intended and actual, scales and
rotates to suit. Very much depends on the images, different  map
projection and camera angle and it might be easier to draw in by hand.

A non-gimp solution might be Hugin which has a stack alignment option.
Not easy to use and I have not had much success unless the images are
very similar.

--
stroma23 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)