Re: [Gimp-user] Export to pdf

Hi!

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 10:07 PM Uwe Sassnowski <uwesassnowski web de> wrote:

Hello,

I designed a brochure in gimp with several picture and text levels /
layers. Then I combined all pictures and texts to one layer and exported it
to pdf. I sent the pdf to the printing company for printing. The print was
not in a perfect quality. The printing company told us that they normally
get pdf's from their clients where they can make changes to improve the
quality. I tried to export to pdf without combining all layers. But then
all texts are changed in format. I can create pictures from the text
layers. But then I and the printing company cannot go into the text
anymore. Is there a way to export to pdf all single pictures and texts
without combining all layers so that the printing company can touch all
pictures and texts and to reach a higher quality print?

I can't remember if our implementation for PDF export rasterize text or
not. In any case, if you want to lay out various items and similar
activities common for printed objects, I would suggest to use Inkscape
and/or Scribus. I mean: you can still use GIMP for obviously raster parts
(drawing, photographs, etc.). But when it comes to complex designs,
Inkscape may be the most appropriate tool. And if you have objects to set
precisely on your page, Scribus may be better suited (it won't do that much
more than what Inkscape does, simply it's rather *how* it does it which may
make it much more straightforward when you think in term of print).

Now GIMP can also work very fine, even if you have texts. But then you have
to understand well the printing process to provide a perfect raster object
to the printshop and not expect them to edit it (we certainly don't want
printshops to edit our designs in fact!).

Jehan

With best regards,
Uwe