[Gimp-user] Transparent color

Hi
I have GIMP 2.1 installed on my computer

I want to bucket paint the back ground color transparent then copy and
paste the subject (myself) onto another image file.

I remember adobe photoshop elements allowed you to do this. Just
wondered if you could do the same hear?

Thanks
MM

Nothing like a fill-with-transparency tool in Gimp to selectively fill an area.
Transparency is controlled by the Alpha Channel. Apply using Layer ->
Transparency -> Add Alpha channel.

Whatever graphics application, and I assume you are using Gimp 2.10, it then
comes under Remove Background / Extract Foreground depending which way you want
to go. Lots-and-lots of how-to's if you search.

There is an extract foreground tool see:
https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-separate.html and a
reasonable video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG5NYDp-kj8

This way you end up with a selection. Copy the pixels inside the selection Edit
-> Copy Then paste the selection in the destination image Edit -> Paste. You get
a floating selection layer, move the layer into position. Anchor it or promote
to a new layer.

Alternatively, invert the selection, Select -> Invert  Cut the selection, Select
-> Cut leaving the foreground on a transparent background.

If the background is a single solid colour, a fuzzy select followed by a cut
often works.

Save as a Gimp .xcf or export as a png which will preserve any transparency.

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)