[Gimp-user] saving DDS files

I am using 2.10.12. I use the BC3.DXT5 option to save. The PNG was an
Image I
downlaoded from the web as 'transparent'. That's all I know. Most of
the game
modders use Adobe so much of the advice is not applicable with Gimp. I
am  new
to working with DDS files so I dont know what info someone would need
to know.
My question pertains to how to make the PNG I posted transparent while
retaining
the color intensity as the original. An example of use would be a 2
layer dress
with a solid white skirt with a pale pink transparent outer layer
using the PNG
design as its texture. So far my conversions are grainy and washed out
as I
posted.

First your 'transparent' png.

Go to Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel  and if that is 'greyed-out'
then the image has transparency. (You can also see in the layers dialogue, a
layer **without** an alpha channel has a ** bold**  layer name)

I will attach your image in what I think it should look like, as a Gimp xcf
image and a screenshot comparison of a DXT viewer showing the exported dds file.

I did a bit of digging and found this about SkyRim.
https://kasprutz.tumblr.com/post/126812437384/dds-format-guide-for-skyrim. No
Gimp mentioned but it looks like BC3 / DXT5 should be OK.

However there is a PDF on the subject here that advises Alpha Exponent (DXT5)
for quality
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-To-Use-The-Gimp-DDS-Plugin?pid=6196#pid6196
right at the end of the PDF.

Sorry I can not be much help but again I am not into those game graphics and I
appreciate that most information is written for PS users.

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1227/original/dds.jpg
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1228/original/original.xcf

--