[Gimp-user] exposure blending without halo

I saw a YT video a few months ago and should have saved it and now I need it. It
may have been about using Photoshop but the technique should be generic.

The issue is, I have two photos of the same subject (taken using a tripod) at
different exposures because the sky is nice but bright and the foreground is
nice but darker. There is a pretty hard line between the two, a line of trees.
The video talked about how to shape the line between the two so when the two
exposures/layers were blended, there were no halos and the shape of the mask was
accurate. Did the video creator use something like a high or low pass filter? I
don't know, I can't remember.

However, once the mask was created, there were portions that weren't black so it
was painted black, which was fine, the critical part was creating the edge
accurately.

Any suggestions?

--
jrickards (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)