Re: [Gimp-user] Stitching Photos

Or maybe just use "Fit Canvas to Layers" every once in a while? :)

https://youtu.be/MYHZaFxor40

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 9:54 PM Scott Jacobs via gimp-user-list <
gimp-user-list gnome org> wrote:

I can't seem to make this work; I don't see any option for enlarging the
workspace.  I can enlarge the canvas as much as I want, but this doesn't
change
the size of the "window" through which my content is visible.  As I paste
in the
second image and slide it over--in this case to the right, it
disappears.  It's
almost like the second image is sliding under the blank background that
was
created when I enlarged the canvas.

I'm not sure what the official way to solve this is, but when I am putting
several imagestogether, I look at each in an image viewer to see what the
width and height are in pixels, add those figures together as is
appropriate to how the images will be placed in the final image (if I am
not sure, I just make it bigger than I think I will need - I can always
crop it down later), and then open GIMP.I immediately do a File->New> and
set the width and height to the figures I calculated,and under Advanced
Options set the initial content to Fill With whatever color you want.I
usually pick white, but you could use the fore- or background color, or
transparency.(You may wish to set the x- and y- resolution, but I don't
know if it is really necessary - mine is set to 300 ppi, but I don't know
if that is default, or because I set it some time...)
Now that I have a background layer that is (at least) large enough, I then
File->Open as Layersall of the images that will be used to make the final
image (remember, you can save time byCtrl-Clicking multiple individual
files in the same directory, and shift-clicking the first and lastfile of
multiple files that are located right next to each other in the same
directory).
Now, just move things around as you like, and/or cut/paste parts of one
layer onto otherlayers, etc.
Sometimes, when I know that I only want a little from each image, I will
just cut/paste bitsof each layer onto the background, and play around with
exact placement there, later...
-----
When I go on a trip, I will often use this technique to open pages of a
downloaded .pdffile of a complete bus schedule, knowing that I only need a
few lines on a few pages.I'll cut and paste those lines, and probably the
page headings, on what will end up asonly one printed page, which I can
then take with me.