[Gimp-user] File -> Open results in hang/crash

I'm running on Linux Mint 19.0.  This included GIMP 2.8.22.

I found that using the File -> Open menu option in GIMP results in hang after selecting the file to open in the 'Open Image' window and clicking the 'Open' button.

Googling this problem showed that others (mainly Windows users) were experiencing a similar problem, but I didn't find any solution which helped me.  However, I did find reference to the GIMP 2.10 release, so used the PPA to upgrade (having uninstalled 2.8, as advised).  This yielded GIMP 2.10.8.  However, I find that the exact same problem afflicts my v2.10.8 install.

Opening the file from the Nemo 'Open With' option and selecting GIMP works perfectly.

How can I resolve the problem with the GIMP built-in File -> Open option?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to raise this problem.  I have looked at the GIMP FAQ and I have read through recent archives of this mail list without finding any help.