[Gimp-user] How to create a layer of only guide lines?

Not quite sure what you mean but, If the transparent 'overlay' layer
is active what ever you 'paint' is on there.

That includes stroking a selection. A selection can be invoked any
time. The default mode is replace. So make a selection and stroke it.

Then there is a choice, the selection is still active and you can
resize it by dragging the handles and stroke again, or if you have
moved to another tool, go back to the elliptical select tool, make the
selection, stroke it. Once the selection is stroked that is now pixels
on the layer. To change that needs an erase or a new layer.

How to tweak the size of the ellipse?

Is that the diameter? Drag the handles around to size

Is it the width of the stroke? Set the stroke width in Edit -> Stroke
selection dialogue.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Thanks, that explains why I couldn't do it the way I was trying to.

--
GerryPeters (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)