[Gimp-user] Hard to explain, but a moving surface layer

I don't know if this makes sense, but I created this account just to ask.

I want to take a video and an effect layer, for instance dust or something,
perhaps a short animation or something, and place it over the video.

That part's easy.

The question is, is there a way in gimp, (or some other free software if someone
has a better idea,) to make that layer conform to the animation of the video?
For instance...

A video of someone walking down the hallway, using GIMP or something to animate
dust swirling around them as they walk.

I have access to BIMP and GAP if that helps, I don't know what my limitations
are. Figured I'd ask.

--
drakeraider (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)