Re: [Gimp-user] Hard to explain, but a moving surface layer

Hi

if I understand correctly, you would like to use GIMP to draw an
animation on top of recorded video frames?

How I would do it is:

1) split the video into individual frames (using ffmpeg for example)

2) load frames as layers into GIMP

3) for each frame, create a layer group with two layers: your animation
layer on top and original video frame on bottom. i.e. the layout
suggested for the onion layers plug-in. [1]

4) draw your animation on the animation layers.

5) export frames using export layers plug-in. [2]

6) encode exported frames back into a video file (again using ffmpeg for
example)

This will only work for (very) short videos though. Loading up hundreds
of frames into GIMP will very likely exhaust the memory on your system.
Not to mention of course that drawing hundreds of frames of animation
will be a lot of work.

[1] https://github.com/avian2/gimp-plugin-onion-layers

[2] https://github.com/khalim19/gimp-plugin-export-layers

Best regards