[Gimp-user] GIMP 2.10-RC1 Previews Loading Slowly

A perhaps more accurate description is that most operations are now
performed
on linear 32 bit floating point data, regardless of which precision
pixels are stored with.
Fast path conversions from storage formats of 8bpc and 32bit float
have been around
in babl for many years, but for most permutation of gray/rgb/alpha in
16bit precision,
both float and integer no such short cuts existed and babl would
roundtrip the data to
64bit floats. As of babl-0.1.46 released earlier this week most gaps
for these pixel-formats
have been filled with fast paths. There is still room for making the
16bit code paths faster with
SIMD but GIMP-2.10rc2 should already be much better than 2.10rc1, for
further details
see also https://www.patreon.com/posts/babl-fast-path-18052156

/pippin -

Interesting, I'm really trying to understand the differences, but are you
basically saying that my best bet is to wait for RC2?

Thanks for your time!

--
jkhan (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)