[Gimp-user] GIMP 2.10-RC1 Previews Loading Slowly

I've had some similar issues working with large images, here's some
things I've found.  First of all, if your image is in 16-bit
precision,
your operations are going to be slow.  GEGL is apparently optimized
for
8-bit int and 32-bit float, so paradoxically you'll actually get a
much
smoother experience if you change the image precision to 32 bit
floating
point.  Trying to,   That's gotten the new GIMP to be pretty usable
for
me.  It's still not as zippy as the 2.8 series was, but it's also
crunching a lot more data over 8-bit images.

So I'm working with scans of my film images and those TIF files are importing as
16 bit. Is there a way to change it to 32?

Thanks for your time!

--
jkhan (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)