[Gimp-user] 8 and 1 bit images

Thanks for th quick replies which is really appreciated.
I have only recently started to use GIMP2 and so in 'learning mode' at
present. I had been using an old version of Paint Shop Pro which
wasn't written very well to handle memory and so I couldn't create
layers with large image files which GIMP2 can.

Used to use PSP 7 back in 2000 - ish.

Thinking about your original question, I was a little short on detail. If you
need a 1 bit (B&W) image but retain some sort of shading, you need to enable
dithering. It all depends on how you want the final result.

example see screenshot.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/691/original/dithered.jpg