[Gimp-user] Copy text layers as text or python script to mass generate text layers

This is gimp 2.8.22 on windows

I want to merge two images and both have quite a few text layers. I found that an edit->copy does not copy a text layer -- it makes it an image layer. I really do now want that since I will definitely have to modify some of the text in the future as I continue expanding the image.

1) Am I missing something? Is there a way to copy a text layer between images? 2) If not, perhaps I could write a very simple, one-time script to mass create the text layers (I'd have to move them to the correct locations but that is simpler than click-enter text-click and move for each of the layers.

I found the reference to script-fu but I have never wrapped my head around scheme/lisp and I don't want to start now. Where are the docs for the python interface? I am assuming there is some interface to create a text layer via scripting.