[Gimp-user] Time Lapse via GIMP

You also missed out operating system, assuming a version of Windows.

Judging by conversion times stated (and Nikon) these are big
individual frames? Gif format was really meant for an earlier smaller
size era.

The immediate issue with frame order is easily solved in Gimp. Use
Layer -> Stack -> Reverse Layer Order.

Then it becomes a matter of work flow.

Keep in RGB mode for as long as possible. A Gimp gif has the same 256
colour palette for all layers. Exporting to gif automatically converts
to indexed mode. I think it is better to export the gif, then reopen
in Gimp then optimise, export again. Up to you.

Is the reason for using gif the ability to loop? Otherwise a video
format will give better results. There are applications that will
easily produce a video 'slideshow'.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net
Thanks for the response.  Now to answer what I forgot to mention.  Operation
system:  Windows 10, picture format is JPG-fine.  Don't need or want NEF format
as 300 pictures too many to edit and I have not found a batch edit process that
will take all edits from one picture and apply to the others.  Reason for
exporting as .gif - I do not know better, a newbie in creating time lapse videos
from still pictures.  I also am guessing that the use of Layer - Stack - reverse
layer order is to be done right after "Opening as Layers" - all layers will be
recognized by the command.

Again thanks for the response, I really appreciate it as I want to use GIMP for
this process.

One other question:  To replace .gif you mentioned looping - I do not care about
looping - actually want it to play just once and then stop.  What are your
suggestions for other video formats and applications for producing a video
timelapse?
Chuck Devlin

--
cfdevlin01 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)