Re: [Gimp-user] Similar function?

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 1:36 AM, Jeffry Killen <jekillen prodigy net> wrote:

Hello;

It is not clear to me as I dig into the manual for Gimp, if there
is a tool that does what the magic wand tool does in Photoshop.

I have used the magic wand tool to select a solid background
(single specific colored pixels such as white) in an image.
Then inverting the selection so only the image part is selected.
Then I can copy the selected image part and paste it into a layer
in another file.

In this way the image part now has a transparent background
and can be combined with other image elements in the layer stack.

Foreground select works about like this, iirc.

carol