Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP name, icon and general graphic look

On 10/20/2017 11:41 AM, Ross Martinek wrote:

As for Wilbur, I, too, thought he looked a bit silly at first. Now I love the sight of him. He isn’t merely
a mascot, or a logo. He’s an Icon, as in “Cultural Icon.” Put another way: “If you don’t use GIMP, you’re
too wealthy to call yourself an artist!” (You’re supposed to laugh, here. It’s a play on the iconic
“starving artist.")

Stop fussing about what the paint brush looks like. Go thou and create something beautiful.

Right on.  I'm glad to see that proposals for fidget changes, for the
sake of change itself, don't seem to get much traction here.  As a long
time student of propaganda and marketing (same thing) I would consider
dumping Wilbur and anonymizing the GIMP logo as brand suicide moves.

Off topic for the thread:  The GIMP splash screen includes a progress
indicator showing the GIMP scanning all its optional/variable parts to
build its menus and stuff every time it is started.  On older, slower
hardware that takes a loooong time.

I would like to see an option to toggle that process off and on, by
saving the configuration data on exit, and reloading it when/as a "fast
start" mode was enabled by the user.

As a possible default solution, a faster scanning process that only
looks for changes in relevant directories could trigger a "real scan and
reload" of all the variable parts, only where and as a change (new,
missing or different sized files in any relevant directory) is detected
by comparison of file names and sizes.

In the event of abnormal termination a flag indicating failure to shut
down in an orderly manner - some dinky file that gets written at the end
of successful program start, and deleted after writing out the
configuration files during shutdown - could trigger a full rescan if
present on start.  This same process could be invoked by the user though
a "reload all plugins and resources" command, which would restart the
GIMP without setting the flag indicating a successful last shutdown.

Has this been discussed before (I bet it has) and if so where should I look?

Over the years I have spent a lot of time looking at GIMP splash screens
when I could have been loading up image files and tweaking on them.  The
process that causes that does make perfect sense, but IMO so would some
attention to shortening it when and as practicable.

:o)