Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP name, icon and general graphic look

Alex,

I did apologize in advance for acerbidity (not a word ;^} ) And it’s just my strongly stated opinion. To me,
anything that performs its function as well as the operator’s ability allows is a thing of beauty, regardless
of what it looks like. (No, I’m not an engineer. =^D )

I like your attitude. As long as this is the way the developers see things, I see no problem.

It’s just that I have too much experience re-engineering (or back-engineering) things that were well
designed, then ruined by the accountants and ad departments. I can’t do this with electronics or
software—hence my apprehension. I’ve seen too many good things ruined by making them look “sexy,” or
whatever, or by making them less functional for profit’s sake. At least the latter is not likely to be a
problem here.

But I don’t think you can argue that our society pays far too much attention to appearance at the cost of
substance. So being an old curmudgeon, when I see someone advocating improved appearance, it’s going to get a
reaction—strongly stated, but civil, I hope. (I try not to make global warming any worse, but there are
occasional episodes of localized, total atmospheric ionization …)

So a suggestion: Why not ask the users, or at least members of this list, rather than the developers, to
produce the cosmetic enhancements. The users are artists of one sort or another. Here’s an opportunity to use
their skills and talents to give back for some great, free software.

Ross