Re: [Gimp-user] 2.8.22 is wacky

On 05/29/2017 10:32 AM, Carol Spears wrote:

[ ... ]

It just seemed to me to be un-intuitive, that a user would be using one
tool, and suddenly to
be switched to another tool without his intending to select it.

The "intuitive" side of this is that when you purposely grab a guide from
the ruler, the move tool
is automatically engaged for refining the guide's position.

It seems to me that people often call what they are used to doing from
long habit "intuitive."  For instance, when a long time user of one
photo editor tries out another one, nothing is "intuitive" and
everything about the unfamiliar one just seems wrong.

I am unsure if this was something that gimp-1.0.2 did, but certainly
gimp-1.2 had this enabled.
And all gimp versions since for +15 years.

Not sure if it's a bug, a feature, or an oversight taken for granted as
"normal" by users and developers just because that's the way it always
worked and they're used to it.

Perhaps as gimp's nefarious and wrong-thinking users (the numbers which are
many) are
also aging and cannot keep the mouse pointer on the canvas, this and other
features will just
need to go away. :)

When using Inkscape, I take it for granted that guides "just work" and
placing one doesn't turn off the tool I wanted to "guide" with a guide.
I don't mind that at all, in fact I rather like it now that I have been
prompted to ask myself whether or not.  If asked, I would say "Don't be
switching on the Move tool whenever someone adds a guide, that's silly."

In Inkscape, guides turn red (after a momentary delay) when the cursor
is placed more or less exactly over them - unless the cursor is dragging
a selected object or node, drawing a line, or etc. at the time.  When
red, the guide can be removed by pressing the Delete key, or clicked and
dragged to a new position (or off the canvas).  I like that behavior.  I
have also found Inkscape's diagonal guides (45 degrees) very handy; they
are created by clicking the ruler and dragging diagonally.

I am usually very skeptical of UI changes in the GIMP, but more
Inkscape-like behavior for guides would be a Good Thing IMO.  This is
not a huge issue for me - I have taken the "old" behavior for granted
for nearly 20 years.  It's "intuitive" because it's familiar - along
with all the other annoyances inherent in editing photos and such.

:o)