[Gimp-user] Gimp crashes on startup

Hello,

I am using Gimp on my Windows 10 laptop. Yesterday, when I started Gimp, after
an unusually long waiting time, I got a Windows Error dialog:

Runtime Error! C:\(...)gimp-2.8.exe. This application has requested the Runtime
to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team
for more information.

Then Windows tells me he most close Gimp.

In the Windows Event list, I find this (sorry, I am using a French version of
WIndows):

Nom de l’application défaillante gimp-2.8.exe, version : 2.8.22.0, horodatage :
0x00c9b800
Nom du module défaillant : libcairo-2.dll, version : 0.0.0.0, horodatage :
0x654702b7
Code d’exception : 0x40000015
Décalage d’erreur : 0x00000000000acd52
ID du processus défaillant : 0x3d60
Heure de début de l’application défaillante : 0x01d2d560fa2a4fa1
Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : C:\Program Files\GIMP
2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe
Chemin d’accès du module défaillant: C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\libcairo-2.dll
ID de rapport : 8c484136-5ca3-4047-8cc6-4dc1d3e68c22
Nom complet du package défaillant :
ID de l’application relative au package défaillant :

My first idea was to uninstall and reinstall Gimp. Same result. Then I
uninstalled Gimp again and tried to reinstall older versions: 2.8.20, 2.8.18 and
2.8.16 gave the same crash.

I did a little research on the Internet and I found something about conflicting
installations and libintl-8.dll. So I searched for all occurrences of
libintl-8.dll and of and renamed the app folders of all except Gimp (avidemux,
Clementine, GtkSharp, KDiff, LG Electronics, Poedit, Virtaal, Raw Therapee,
Shotcut), but I still get the same crash. Now I realize that under Windows 10,
this proves nothing, I can still run those applications even with renamed
folders.

Of course, I could completely uninstall all those apps, but if there is a
simpler and less radical way to solve my issue, I'd rather use it first!

Does any one have a suggestion how I could make Gimp work again?

--
davitof (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)