Re: [Gimp-user] Inconsistent Behaviour of New View Windows

On 05/16/2017 10:41 AM, programmer_ceds wrote:
BTW, this would have been more suitable for the gimp-developer mailing
list.

I'm not a member of the gimp-developer mailing list - perhaps I should join -
can I join?

Yes, you should, and yes, you can - it is a mailing list, so all you
need is an email address and a web browser to go to:

There is an alternative:

Being on IRC can be even more helpful, especially if you need advice in
real-time if you are trying to figure out how some code works *right now*.

Most of the discussions alongside GIMP development actually happen on
IRC, the server is irc.gimp.org and the channel is #gimp. Make sure you
can join during European evenings and be prepared to stay for hours at a
time.

There is a speed penalty so it might be as well to add an option to Preferences
to allow the user to turn this feature off. But even then the behavior of the
views would not be consistent as the airbrush would (unless modified from its
current behaviour) still update the additional views as it is used.

Well, this would be a whole new paradigm of behavior being introduced,
so how something behaves right now is of lesser importance.

Whilst it may be helpful to modify the paint tools in this way my aim was to
modify the transform tools so that the preview appears in all views - thereby
adding to the usability of the Unified Transform tool.

If someone could give me any pointers on how this might be achieved I would be
pleased to look further at it.

Again, IRC - direct, real-time interaction with the developers.

I have only just started looking at the gimp sources and trying to build it on
Windows (with some success but I still have a few things to sort out) so I'm not
familiar with the inner workings of the program.

The changes you have done to make painting work across all views would
be interesting to see. This is where attaching a patch to an enhancement
request in Bugzilla is a good approach.

--
Regards,
Michael