Re: [Gimp-user] Question About Recreating a Drop Shadow

Ah, there we go.

Besides the wood background, it looks like three layers to me: The black text front layer, a light drop
shadow the average color of the wood, and a darker drop shadow behind that.

Do you have a layered copy of the image? i.e. the original GIMP FILE? I (or someone else) could probably edit
the file and get it back to you reasonably quickly.

I highly recommend making a copy of the file, and work on the copy. If there’s only one drop shadow(s) layer
behind the text, try turning off the text by clicking the eye next to its layer thumbnail, and see if the
shadow is, indeed, two shadows. If so, and you have AT LEAST the editable text layer and the wood background,
then I’d suggest making two copies of the text layer, and move them to slightly right and down, with the
lowest layer moved the farthest, to recreate the spacing of the original shadow(s). Then use the eyedropper
tool to select the light grey for the middle text layer and change the text to that color, and do the same
for the bottom layer, using the darker grey.  That should get you pretty close. May want to apply some blur
to the shadow layers, but that’s up to you.

Anyhoo, that would be my initial approach, given a file with at least the wood and text layers.

Once you’re happy with the result using “THE MUSICIAN” you can easily edit the text layers to become “THE
ARTIST” and you should be good to go.

Hope that helps.  If you want to shoot me the layered GIMP file, or a link to it, I’d be glad to give it a
shot, or at least take a look at the layers to see what you have going on.

Rick K

It’s better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend