Re: [Gimp-user] tips on working with gigantic files?

I don't think this will solve the problem you described, but I have
found that clearing the undo history after every operation done on open
files frees a lot of memory in cases where there is /almost/ too much
data for the system to cope with.

Thanks, great tip -- As you say, I think it might not help here because I'm opening the file and immediately trying to export (i.e. no undo history) but that's great to keep in mind for the future.

Another possibility:  Crop the images you are trying to merge down to
just the bits that overlap, process those, then add the cropped parts
back in.

Ah! Yes! I don't think I can combine them in gimp (due to RAM), and I don't think I can even crop the image now (same RAM overflow issue) but I bet I can crop to the overlap areas, do the overlap, export that, and then combine the three sections (top, overlap, and bottom) with the "montage" command. Thanks for the insight!

@Ken & @Liam Re: swap -- I did try this with a 16GB swap enabled and it never seemed to swap; but I'll try it with overcommit enabled as Liam suggested (you implied that that will trigger GIMP to fork the PNG export?). Currently, when it maxes out on RAM, everything slows to a crawl; as in, moving the mouse causes the mouse to update its position once every few seconds; takes minutes just to move the mouse to the corner of the screen, etc. GUI interaction (e.g. trying to close a window or switch to a v-term) doesn't seem possible, no matter how long I wait. In other words, the system is brought to its knees. Is that what heavy swapping can look like, and what I should expect even if overcommit is enabled? I just want to know when I should let it go overnight and expect that it's slowly working through the file, and when it's actually just spinning wheels and not getting anything done...

I will also play with tile cache size and so forth (it has been at 8GB; undo history was also at 8GB, but again, I was just opening and then exporting...)

@Rick:

Just out of curiosity, why such a huge file? What do you intend to do with the finished product if you could get your computer to work (if you don't mind me asking)?

Very fair question. :-) I just wanted to make a zoomable 'gigapixel' image for the heck of it. No true demand that it be so huge. Maybe I'll print it large-scale some day if it turns out well. For now I'm mainly just honing my skills on the techniques and learning what my computer can handle. (And the only reason it's sliced in two parts is that hugin can't write out the image in one piece without running out of RAM.)

Thanks, everyone, for the help,
-c