Re: [Gimp-user] Who Owns Images Created Using Gimp Tool

Hi,

I am not a lawyer either, but, ...

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 5:10 AM, Carol Perkins <carolperkins shaw ca> wrote:
Hi,

I've viewed some the tutorials for the Gimp tool, covering various features.
They are straightforward, easy to understand and very accessible. I believe
it is the best tool to use when creating my own
characters/pictures/illustrations for my upcoming books.

This may sound unnecessary,

Actually, understanding the license as best you can is an important thing.

You might or might not find useful information on this site:

    https://www.fsf.org

(It tends to be oriented towards technical types.)

In specific, there is a FAQ list and a quick guide linked on this page:

    https://www.fsf.org/licensing/

but...could you please confirm that I am the
owner of the images I have created using this tool and can incorporate them
into my own books which I will be selling commercially. In reading the
License Agreement, I wasn't sure I could use my own creations commercially.
"Legaleze" isn't really my forte.

If you look in the help menu, under "about this application",you'll
find the license item. In that item, you'll see that Gimp is made
available under version 3 of the General Public License.

On this page:

    https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html

in section 0 it says that a covered work is the program, or a work
based on the program. It would include parts of the program.

In addition to source code, the program includes some images, such as
the widgets in the toolbox palette and the Gimp mascot. If you use the
Gimp to edit those images and want to publish the results, you would
need to publish them under the GPL.

But I assume you are not doing that. It's a rather unusual thing to do.

If you take a picture of your dog with your digital camera, that is
not part of the program. And if you edit the picture of your dog with
the Gimp, that is still not part of the program. It's your dog and
your work, so the image is yours.

The Gimp is a tool, and the license covers the tool, but not the stuff
you make or alter with the tool, except when you work on the Gimp
itself with the Gimp like the developers do.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much, I appreciate any clarifications you can provide.

Carol

--
Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist: