[Gimp-user] can anybody help me to get rid of the white background of a layer?

I am a total newbie of using gimp. I tried to combine three plots into
a figure, but got the first plot having white background. Is there way
to remove the white background and then merge all the layers into one,
and then fill the background with white? Thanks,

First an explanation as to why you will run into problems trying to adjust your
3 layers.

The background layer has both alpha (transparency) and pixels locked. You might
have done this to fix the layer location. That is not their purpose. Easy to
click on the icons  and unlock. see attachment

Then you could apply Colors -> Color-to-Alpha to remove the white and put a new
white layer at the very bottom of the stack.

However the quickest way.

With the top layer active Layer -> New Layer from visible to combine the 3
layers.

With the background colour white. Layer -> Transparency -> Remove Alpha Channel
see attachment.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/511/original/locked.jpg