[Gimp-user] can anybody help me to get rid of the white background of a layer?

First an explanation as to why you will run into problems trying to
adjust your 3 layers.

The background layer has both alpha (transparency) and pixels locked.
You might have done this to fix the layer location. That is not their
purpose. Easy to click on the icons  and unlock. see attachment

Then you could apply Colors -> Color-to-Alpha to remove the white and
put a new white layer at the very bottom of the stack.

However the quickest way.

With the top layer active Layer -> New Layer from visible to combine
the 3 layers.

With the background colour white. Layer -> Transparency -> Remove
Alpha Channel see attachment.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Thanks for the clear explanation. I have followed both your ways to fix the
issue. Actually it seems skipping creating a new layer from visible also works,
just unlock the lowest layer which I have no idea when locked, and then merge
till the last, then remove the alpha channel, that seems to give the same
result.

Towards your second way, I have the following questions would be really
appreciated if you could help,

(1) wouldn't filling in the top layer with color overshadow the layers beneath
it?
(2) after merging layers into one, can I still operate on previous layers? most
likely not, if so then what's the purpose to create a new layer from visible? I
followed this concern to come up with my own mentioned above.
(3) is removing alpha channel equivalent to filling the background with white?

BTW, how do I see whether the pixel and alpha channel are unlocked? I clicked on
it, but no signs showing that they are unlocked although indeed then I can erase
and make modifications.

--
bsmile (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)