[Gimp-user] Text Characters

Hello, Everyone!

I am looking for the way to take text that I have created that has a
solid
color, make an outline around the edges of each character, and make
the
center of each character transparent so it the attributes of the layer
below it will show through the transparent area.  I tried to work with
the
instructions I was given to do this (see below) but either I cannot
understand what I am to do, or the instructions are not complete.  To
all
who have helped me, I thank you and I need a bit more to understand
how
this is to be done.

Have a great weekend!

Paula

You need to use a layer mask.

see: http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Cut-Out-Text?pid=262#pid262

Combine that with stroking a path Layer -> Text to Path created with the text
layer active, on a new layer as described by ofnuts.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)